Sick Baby

The week coming back after vacation is always tough. It's especially tough when the little one comes down with a fever. Wednesday evening was when the trouble began. Now it's Friday and he's still feverish. I stayed home yesterday, and my wonderful husband volunteered to stay home today. If I'm lucky he'll take some good long naps over the weekend, and I can do some scrapping.

Speaking of scrapbooking, I did finish the layout I started in Destin, and another one this week. Those will be forthcoming if I get a chance to photograph them. Here is a layout about Shane's swimming lessons.
























I am pleased with how it came out. I tried out some new techniques, and needed some unconventional thinking. The design was inspired by a layout in the 2 Peas Member Gallery where the die cut paper was cut into 2 sections. 1 was 1/4 of the paper, and the other was 3/4 of the paper. I decided to try that here. I made the "diecut" edge of the white and blue plaid paper by tracing the line of a diecut paper from My Mind's Eye. The gold colored background paper is from the Core'dinations Gemstones line. Joann stocks it, and when it goes on sale 6 for $.96 you just can't beat it! I have at least 1 sheet in every color.

The white and red circle mats were made with my new Creative Memories Jumbo Circle pattern. It goes along with their custom cutting system, which I think is the best in the biz. The last technique was an attempt to make a "mosaic" a-la Christine Middlecamp. I placed it above the larger of the 3 pictures. Everything is a little more squished than I would like. I learned after by reading Christine's blog that she traces the border onto a background paper first, then adds the insides of the mosaic, finishes it by placing the border strips along the outside edge. That's why she's the expert!

The rest of the layout came together by playing off the circles and diecut theme. The rainbow scallop border came from the edge of a Sassafras Lass paper. Those are such an awesome little freebie. The circular scallop cutout on the left came from a set of Scenic Route raw chipboard nested circles. I simply inked it with a Dew Drop and layered circle cut papers behind it. One last thing I wanted to point out about this layout are the small red dots on the bottom right side of the white circle. I made this with Ranger Dimenisonal Paint. I'd never used the product before, and I wanted to test it out. They added a little something with the dot-ring pattern. Look for the paint to appear in future layouts.

Whenever I'm putting together a layout, I inevitably run into problems or make mistakes. They don't tell you that scrapbookers are also problem-solvers and improvisers. My first problem came up when I decided to cut the back of the gold cardstock out from behind the blue and white plaid paper. I like doing this for 2 reasons. 1) It makes the layout lighter which is important if you have alot of heavy chipboard or metal embellishments. The second reason is to recycle your paper. I cut out the back if there is at least a 6x6 piece to use at a later time. Typically I plan ahead by cutting the back out with the help of my rotary trimmer or xacto knife before I adhere the overlapping paper. This time I was cropping with friends and not paying as much attention.

When I realized I wanted to cut the back out, I tried doing it free hand from the bottom side of the cardstock. This worked well until I turned it over and discovered a small hole between where the 2 pieces of diecut meet. I cut a piece off of the cardstock scrap I removed and taped it on behind the hole. You can see the seam if you look closely. The second problem was with the spacing of the title lettering. I placed the numeral "1" and the red felt s-w-i-m before the "st." In order to make the "st" look right I had a larger than desirable gap between the 2 words. I improvised by placing a flourish that came with the MM blue glitter letters to fill the space. In the end it added a nice touch.

That's all for now. TGIF!
Carly

0 comments: