Scrap Pink!

I only just got home from the Scrap Pink! event at EMI, and I had to share all the fun right away. The day started early for me, and I was at the store shortly after opening. I always struggle with what to bring to a crop. In this case, the easiest thing to do was to transport my collection intact. This required several trips to the car, several trips into the store, several trips out of the store at the end of the day while dogging rain, and several trips back into the house this evening. But it was worth it! And wouldn't you know, I still left a tool at home that I could have used!

The store was in immaculate shape when I arrived. All the work tables were cleared and set with handmade name-tags for each cropper. Snacks and drinks were also at the ready. I was very proud of Susan. It wasn't till I crossed over to the "back" of the store that I realized where all the clutter had gone! I saw new faces and familiar ones. The most exciting was meeting Crafty Suz in person. She is a fixture on Paperclipping.com and we've corresponded a few times through the 2 Peas boards as well. The day was filled with interesting chat both scrapping and non-scrap, alot of laughing, a few family visits, and lots of sweets. As I was getting ready to leave, Susan told me they are planning an all-night crop. That should be a BLAST.

I didn't have any specific project plans today, but it seemed like a good time to attempt a replication of a layout I saw awhile back. The layout is Time Flies by Andrea Friebus, and it appeared in Memory Makers magazine. It has a circle cut into 12 slices of a pie. In each section is a picture of her son from 1 month to 12 months. It was slow going guessing the dimensions of the circle and each section. Once that was done, I had to find pictures that would conform to the pie shape. I think I got 9 out of 12. That was an accomplishment, and I was ready to move onto the papers.

I wanted to use the remainder of my Earth Love mini deck.

This format has advantages and disadvantages. The patterns are shrunken to fit the smaller format, and you won't have enough to make a complete 12x12 page of a single pattern. I don't know that I would purchase one in the future knowing I wanted to make layouts. That being said, I just purchased a Sassafras Lass Monstrosity mini deck (they call them Wee Bundles).

When I saw how the patterns had translated to the 6x6 size, I immediately thought it would be perfect for a 6x6 mini book.

The second project I started was using a paper line from Marks Papers.

The colors are vivid blues, greens, and sand tones with purple and red accents. I just love them, but I didn't know what projects to use them with. I recently printed a bunch of pictures from while I was pregnant. 2 had blue and 1 had pink and black. This combination has become my "expecting" layout. The design is based on a layout rather than a sketch which can be problematic. I like how it's coming along, but it's now at the embellishment stage and that's going to be tricky. I find I work in one of two ways. Either I'm planning embellishments throughout the construction process, or I get the main components and the pictures done and then I have to add all the rest. That's when I know inspiration needs to strike.

My ego got a big boost from everyone admiring my Penn State mini book. Someone commented that surely it would get published. As they say, from her mouth..... There is nothing that would make me happier, and it would be ironic if the first thing I had published was a mini book and not a layout. What I really need to do is get my act together for the last 3 pages and call it done.

Of course, you know I couldn't escape from the store without purchasing a few things. I really tried to be conservative, and it wouldn't have been bad if I didn't pick out 2 bottles of Stickles in the latest colors, new Crate Paper Seasons papers and sticker sheets. This is my favorite.


The big hit was $20 for the next 3 months of Scrapbook Trends. That magazine is obscenely expensive and I can only justify buying it at 2/3 off the list price.

I just can't say enough good things about EMI and the owner, Susan. If not for that store, my scrapping may not have come as far as it has in the past 9 months. They have beautiful products including all their one-of-a-kind mini book kits. It's really a special place for scrappers. I wish them the best of luck in retail success for many years to come.

Good night.

4 comments:

atlcarly said...

Great post

Felder71 said...

That was sure one busy day.

Anonymous said...

Here is a test anonymous post.

wheezemd said...

Looks like your scrap booking is going well.