A pile of projects

I know my blogging has not been as frequent as I would like. I hope you have not taken offense and decided to stop checking on me. Today is the week of my son's 2nd birthday. It's a special and busy time for our family, but also emotional and stressful for me as a mom. I'm thankful to have scrapbooking as an outlet. It's been taking quite a bit of my free time since I've offered to design additional mini books for EMI. I've completed 2 samples that should be available for sale soon. My 3rd is under construction, and may be the most challenging. Susan's only directions were to use Basic Grey's Origins line and have a mother theme in anticipation of Mother's Day. Origins is beautiful paper, and I've really enjoyed working with it. However, it doesn't really scream "I love you, Mom."

I spent some time going through my supplies and paper trying to think of ways to add a feminine touch. It didn't take me long to pair the bold Origins prints with some patterns from Sultry. It's an older BG line with similar browns and greens to Origins. The soft pinks and small geometric patterns really made it a good match. Michael's carries it in their open stock paper section, and it happens to be on sale 30% off this week. With the paper dilemma out of the way, and a few embellishments, the other challenge I had was what kind of chipboard to use for the base pages. I purchased a Basic Grey mini book kit last fall and it came with a chocolate brown tabbed chipboard album. I had 3 boards left. The color is very rich, and I like 5 x 5 1/2 design with the 4 punched holes. I got creative with paint and matched up an acrylic paint to cover some chipboard sections I cut to size and punched with my Crop-a-dile. I spent the majority of the late afternoon and evening on Sunday selecting base paper patterns, cutting them out, and starting on a few page embellishments. I'm stepping away from my comfort zone with some of the items but I hope it comes out beautifully. I don't want to share too much, but here's alittle peak at how I'm combing Origins and Sultry.


I haven't done much shopping lately. On a trip to Archiver's last week I was pleased to see they received all the new Bo Bunny lines. I picked up a few sheets from Jazmyne and Sophie as well as the Jazmyne coordinating chipboard. I was pleasantly surprised to see the colors and patterns from the two lines played nicely together. However, I noticed A's did not get all the patterns for either group. The backing for the chipboard pieces was cut very poorly and it took me over 30 minutes to pry all of them out. They will be great for adding glitter glue and gems.

After only creating 1 layout last week using Crate Paper's Brooke line, I knew I had to get some cranking over the weekend. I'm going vintage with Graphic 45 Renaissance Faire and 7 Gypsies Venice papers. Here is a sneak of the Venice layout.

I've created a few ATCs and altered items with the 6x6 paper pad, but this is my first project using the 12x12 designs. I paired a Jenni Bowlin journaling spot. Those 2 designers are a natural combination. You may be wondering what the back strip is between the white and black pattern background papers. It's 7 Gs gaffer tape. It's there because I wated to use both sides of a single sheet of patterned paper to create the base background. Even cutting out the inside square carefully meant I'd have a few gaps when I flipped it over and inserted it, so I used the gaffer tape.

The next layout on my list is another one for EMI using the 2nd Crate Paper line they got last week. Pink Plum is very pretty, and very pink. Christine Middlecamp made a mini book using the line and black and white pictures of her son for their CHA booth. I'm not that confident I can pull of something for a boy, so I found some super cute pictures of me with my friends' daughter on her 3rd birthday. She's 7 now, so that tells you how old these are.

I'm only working with 3 of the patterns. The sheet behind is Basic Grey's new line Kioshi. I picked up the element stickers at Archiver's. I'll try to put up a sneak when I start this layout a little later this week.

Thanks for reading.

0 comments: